[IP-OA_Forum] Fwd: Future of the Open Access Tracking Project


forwarding the below from Peter, as it might be of interest to some on this list ... and really sorry to see the OA Tracking Project end 😢

Immensely grateful for Peter's work on running the project, as it has helped me learn a lot over the last 15+ years - and I know its updates have been used my a lot of folks out there. 

Personally, I have found the project and database uniquely useful to be able to keep an eye on a multiplicity of different strands of conversations happening around OA over the years, and I have long tried my best to help by contributing as an active tagger ... but there we go ... 

Just putting it out there - as Peter seems to indicate, it would still be possible for somebody else - ideally a non-profit institution - to continue the good work that had started at the Berkman Klein Center almost two decades ago ... 

All best,

Toby



-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: Future of the Open Access Tracking Project
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2026 13:25:34 -0400


Hi all, 

This is a reminder that last day of OATP tagging will be one week from today, September 30, 2026. 

If you're still an active OATP tagger, please tag as usual up to and including September 30, but not after.

TagTeam itself will stay up a little past September 30, but not much longer. On October 1, we'll save the OATP dataset for open-access use and preservation outside TagTeam. 

I'm sorry that TagTeam has been down for the past few days. The problem is with the server, not the software. The Berkman Klein Center  tech team is working hard to bring it back up before the OATP end date. I really want us to be able to go out on a high note, having tagged all known recent developments. 

If you're curious about where to find the OATP dataset after October 1, what lies in store for TagTeam, and related questions, don't hesitate to ask. But in due time you might find answers on one or more of these sites:
--The OATP home page
--My Google doc on my effort to keep OATP and TagTeam alive
https://bit.ly/TransferOATP
--My Mastodon account
https://fediscience.org/@petersuber
--My Bluesky account

     Thanks again for all your contributions to OATP,
     Peter 

Peter Suber



On Sun, Jun 14, 2026 at 1:42 PM Peter Suber wrote:
Hi all,

You're receiving this email because you once signed up to tag for the Open Access Tracking Project. Even if you no longer tag, you might be interested in this news.

I'll soon lay down the OATP. Even though we still have a cadre of active taggers, I do most of the tagging myself and I'm running out of steam. In addition, I have other projects for my semi-retirement.

I've tried for about two years -- without success -- to find one or more nonprofit organizations to take responsibility for OATP.
https://bit.ly/TransferOATP

I haven't yet picked the end date for OATP. But I'm leaning toward late September of this year.

OATP was the project that drove the development of TagTeam. Once I lay down OATP, the Berkman Klein Center will probably lay down TagTeam as well.

As long as TagTeam is up and running, people can query the OATP dataset through TagTeam itself, using all its power to probe what we've collected. Once BKC lays down TagTeam, that will not be possible.

Before we lay down OATP, we'll export the dataset in CSV format, which can be uploaded to spreadsheets and other tools. That will give users at least the power of a spreadsheet to query the dataset. And of course I'll make the dataset open access. I'll probably put it in a Google Sheet so save users the need to take that step themselves.

That's the news. I'll write to you again when I've picked the sunset date.

OATP is widely read and used. But its production is a crowdsourced project that never attracted a large crowd. However, it attracted you. It would have been nothing without you, and it was something -- the most comprehensive source of OA-related news and comment anywhere. I'll always be grateful for your time and effort.

     Thanks,
     Peter 

Peter Suber
bit.ly/petersuber